Home | How can I help? | Books | About JoAnn | Contact
Citizens for Families

Speak Out

Establishing a Community Standard

Sexually Oriented Businesses


About JoAnn


Passing a Child-Appropriate Resolution in Your City

To establish a community standard in your city, a citizen needs to present a child-appropriate resolution at his or her city council meeting. This resolution can be used to encourage all businesses, schools, and public and private institutions to adopt and uphold a child-appropriate standard. The resolution is a policy statement which shows that your city supports a child-appropriate standard, which includes family friendly shopping, child-appropriate advertising, and the removal of explicit materials. It can be a powerful force to help citizens and families create and maintain a community standard which protects children

Suggestions for preparing and presenting a resolution:

  1. To begin, contact a member of your city council or your mayor and ask him or her to help you sponsor a resolution. As a citizen in your city, you have the right and responsibility to encourage the protection of children in your community by passing a child-appropriate resolution.
  2. You may write a resolution for your city yourself or rewrite your favorite resolution, inserting the name of your city. It is helpful to provide copies of one or two other city resolutions, including one from a neighboring city. Present copies of these resolutions to each member of the city council, the mayor, the city attorney, and city recorder before you speak or before the meeting begins.
  3. Arrive early for your city council meeting, if possible, and sign up on the agenda as a speaker. Keep your presentation simple and short. Most cities allow about three minutes for a citizen to address the council.
  4. Explain that you are grateful for the opportunity to address your city council members. Tell them you appreciate the service they render and that you believe that they want their city to do what it best for its children. Explain that you are introducing a child-appropriate resolution which will help them do that.
  5. Stick to the issues. Don't talk about legal matters or lecture on pornography. In fact, don't ever refer to pornography. You are presenting a child-appropriate resolution . That is your sole focus. You want your city council members to pass a child-appropriate resolution for your city. You want the businesses, schools, public and private institutions to protect children in your city and be family-friendly. Define child-appropriate at those things that are appropriate for the eyes of a six-year old child.
  6. Tell them you believe that children in your city should have the opportunity to grow up in a community where they are not exposed to inappropriate images. Explain that a number of cities have already passed child-appropriate resolutions (17 right now in the state of Utah). Emphasize that your city resolution will not hurt businesses in any way. In fact, it will help businesses, for parents will want to patronize stores, businesses, and institutions which are family-friendly.
  7. Thank the city council members for their help. Let them know you appreciate all they are doing to make your city a safe place for children.
  8. If any questions are raised, stay positive. Avoid presenting legal arguments and precedents. Remind them that the child-appropriate resolution is a powerful tool to protect the children and families in your communities. You may remind them that none of the cities which have passed resolutions have had legal problems once the resolution was passed.
  9. After the resolution is passed, call your city council members and thank them. Encourage them to give a copy of the resolution to all businesses in your city to educate them about the importance of maintaining standards which are appropriate for children.

View a sample resolution

If you have any questions or need help in getting a resolution written and passed in your city, please contact Carol Brown, 801-571-3670 (cell) 801-971-7237 email: crb8@netword.com

Home | How Can I Help? | About Citizens for Families | Articles | Links
 Books, DVDs, CDs | Contact Us

Copyright 2007 - 2011, JoAnn Hibbert Hamilton